When I’m guest speaking at industry conferences, I often get asked the question, “What is your favorite US fast food chain for gluten and allergy free meals?”
My answer is Chipotle for a number of reasons from an allergen perspective:
- It is easy to navigate for a gluten free option – my favorite is the burrito bowl.
- The only ingredients that contain dairy are the cheese and sour cream.
- They do not use eggs, mustard, sesame, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts or any other kind of nuts in their food.
- From a gluten and wheat free standpoint, you need to avoid the large and small flour tortillas obviously. If you are highly sensitive and would like Chipotle to change their gloves, they are happy to do that at your request. However, there is a possibility of cross contact with the crispy corn tacos and corn chips.
- To make it even easier, Chipotle is included in the iCanEat OnTheGo fast food data app with 35 US chains for Apple devices which I use whenever I am going to eat fast food.
In addition, Chipotle is a great place for vegans and vegetarians too:
- If you are vegan and/or enjoy organic tofu, Chipotle now offers their sofritas braised wither chipotle chilis, poblanos and spices which are very tasty!
- If you are vegan, you need to avoid the meats (obviously), cheese, sour cream and chipotle-honey vinaigrette.
- If you are vegetarian, you need to avoid the meats (obviously). If you do eat dairy, their cheese is made with a vegetable-based rennet and their sour cream is 100% cultured cream.
Share with us your special diet experiences at Chipotle!